Friday, February 26, 2010
What a trip!!!
Stay tuned and thanks to all that helped with the effort!
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Anglers head to Washington to voice concerns
By FRANK SARGEANT
Tribune correspondent
Published: February 21, 2010
America's anglers are mad ... and they're not going to take it anymore.
What is reputed to be the first "Fisherman's March on Washington, D.C." is slated for Wednesday. It's an effort by dozens of recreational and commercial fishing groups to direct the attention of the federal government toward what the anglers say is gross mismanagement of fisheries in federal waters.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
JOIN THE RALLY – GET ON THE BUS!
A national grassroots effort is currently underway to get coastal fishermen to the rally in DC on February 24th. If you or your group is organizing one of these bus trips to Washington, please let your bus company know that all buses entering DC are subject to a $50 permit fee. Visit http://dmv.dc.gov/info/trippermit.shtm for all required bus permit information. | ||||||||||
|
Fishermen say federal law kills jobs
BOSTON -- Fishermen from around the country are planning to pack the steps in front of the U.S. Capitol this month to demand changes to a federal fisheries law they say is killing jobs and eroding fishing communities.
Organizers of the "United We Fish" rally expect up to 3,000 people at the Feb. 24 protest, including a bipartisan roster of congressmen and fishermen from as far away as Alaska.
The rally comes as various issues roil the fishing business, including questions about uneven law enforcement, restrictions on key recreational stocks and a switch to a new system of regulating Northeast fishermen.
Friday, February 12, 2010
The man behind the curtain.
http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/pages/dynamic/article.page.php?page_id=7444§ion=news_articles&eod=1
Monday, February 8, 2010
Wild On Fishing
Wild connection Radical preservationist group could have hand in management plan
By Robert Montgomery
ESPNOutdoors.com
Whether you're attending a magic show in Las Vegas or dealing with government, it's always a good idea to "watch the other hand" if you really want to know what's going on. Both magicians and politicians are masters of deception and misdirection.
That sad fact of life has become abundantly clear to the recreational fishing community, as its advocates intensify their efforts to keep public waters open and accessible to anglers. And as they push, they need anglers all across America to push with them.
This is necessary because, as ESPN previously reported, environmental/preservationist groups are pressuring Obama to by-pass Congressional oversight and act unilaterally in approving a management strategy for our oceans, coastal waters, and Great Lakes.
This comes at a time when the recreational fishing community had been led to believe that a public and transparent process would follow the recommendations of his Interagency Ocean Policy Task Force and decisions would not be made without careful deliberation.
Because of administration ties to these groups and support for their agendas, issuance of an Executive Order almost certainly would mean closure of public waters to recreational fishing under the guise of a "spatial planning" strategy.
It also would mean that the administration successfully deceived the angling community that a fair and open process would be used to develop a management plan.
To speak out against issuance of an Executive Order, go to the Keep America Fishing web site and send a letter to Obama, your elected officials, and the task force.
"Clearly the environmental community is making a push on this," said Gordon Robertson of the American Sportfishing Association. "We can't let just their voices be heard. We must make them listen to the recreational fishing community as well."
In response to this concern, Andrew Winer, a spokesman for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told angling advocates, "I want to assure all of you that the rumor remains incorrect and that there is no plan to issue an Executive Order before the public comment period is closed."
The big problem with that is deadline for public comments on the task force's management framework proposal is Feb. 12.
"If an Executive Order were to be issued — and we hope that it won't be — it shouldn't be for months," said Gary Kania of the Congressional Sportsmen Foundation. "A deliberative process is needed before decisions are made, with consideration given for all of the comments that have been made.
"We're meeting with the members of the Congressional Sportsmen Caucus to raise this issue. Enhancing Congressional oversight is what's needed. Let's get them involved in something of this scale."
And while anglers seem to have been deceived about the fairness of the process, they have been misdirected as well. While they have focused their energies solely on dealing with the task force, a federal agency has been conspiring with a low-profile, but radical preservationist group, The WILD Foundation, to create a "marine wilderness" management plan that very well could interconnect with the task force.
WILD's objective: "We believe that at least half of the Earth's surface (land and water) needs to be permanently protected in an essentially wild condition, in a manner that keeps all of life interconnected."
Its partner: The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
If WILD has its way, anglers would be denied access by motorized boats to half of the nation's oceans, coastal waters, and Great Lakes, with the way opened via the task force for similar limitations on inland waters.
"You could have to paddle for two miles to fish in a marine wilderness area," Robertson said.
Here's what WILD says on its web site:
"WILD has teamed up with its U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) colleagues to work closely in seeking public input, with WILD spearheading the non-governmental community through the MWC (Marine Wilderness Collaborative, and the USFWS driving government agency participation through the Intergovernmental Working Group on Marine Wilderness."
The recreational fishing community didn't learn of this partnership until early February, although WILD posted information regarding the project on its web site on Dec. 18.
"It's standard procedure for the Fish and Wildlife Service to reach out to non-governmental organizations for partnerships," Kania said. "But this is a pretty radical agenda that the WILD Foundation is proposing.
"What we want to know now from Fish and Wildlife is how long we have to comment on this."
In trying to keep anglers out of vast areas, what WILD and other groups fail to grasp is "how conservation works," Robertson said. "It's paid for by the people most interested in it. If they can't be involved, they'll be less interested, and the end game would be much less investment in fisheries management."
Through license fees and excise taxes on fishing equipment, anglers contribute millions of dollars annually for fisheries research and habitat improvements, as well as coastal wetlands planning and restoration. Additionally, they assist resource agencies in numerous ways, including data collection to determine status and management strategies for sport species.
Denying access to the nation's 60 million anglers not only would collapse this life-support system for our fisheries, it would devastate the economies of communities dependent on recreational fishing. Just as importantly, it would do irreparable harm to a family-oriented pastime that keeps us in touch with and appreciative of the natural world.
As a Senior Writer for ESPN/BASS Publications, Robert Montgomery has written about conservation, environment, and access issues for more than two decades.
Ocean Zoning?
Feds plan ocean zoning, replacing 'open seas'
By Richard GainesStaff Writer
Well below the low-water line for news, the White House is moving to create a system for managing the space — surface and depth — of federal waters that amounts to ocean zoning and is known as "marine spatial planning."
If adopted by Congress and imposed, the new approach would force radical alteration of the historic American understanding of the "open seas" — by purpose, they would no longer be open and instead zoned for pre- and proscribed uses.
Catch Shares Cram Down
Everyone needs to read this and pass it on to everyone you know. This is an excellent story. The current NOAA FY
PROGRAM CHANGES FOR FY
National Catch Share Program (+
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Action Alert
Urge the President to not fast track a process that could have major effects on recreational fishing
Thursday, February 4, 2010
To all concerned:
Things are not going well for
After asking our people to work with
On
Those of us who have listened to
In
Bill Teehan from
Consideration is being made to look at an alternative plan to split
I am thankful we will have
We need flexibility in
Thank you one and all for your support of this industry.
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
United We Fish!
Now is the time to sound off loud and clear. If you want something, you should be prepared to fight for it.
Today, you can take two specific actions.
First, we have a concern that the Gulf Council is not hearing the 6 million Gulf recreational anglers when we say NO SECTOR SEPARATION. A recreational angler should have the right to chose how they fish, be it a private boat, a hired boat with a licensed captain or from shore.
There is a small group of charter boat captains and owners who think they are entitled to all the fish that their recreational angler paying customers caught. This group is being backed by the Environmental Defense Fund in order to bring catch shares to the recreational fishery. They must be stopped.
Here is all you need to say (OK to put more in if you like):
Dear Gulf Council-
Again, I OPPOSE SECTOR SEPARATION. I also OPPOSE any concept of recreational catch shares.
Thank you,
Your Name
Second, there is a petition online that you should sign. The petition is a concerted effort lead by the Central Florida Offshore Anglers, the Halifax Sportfishing Club, the Sebastian Inlet Sportfishing Association and the Florida Sport Fishing Association. It is about the South Atlantic Red Snapper closure.
Go to http://www.deep-blue-sea.org:8080/examples/servlet/petition
2010 red snapper season will be the shortest ever
Roy Crabtree's warning proved prophetic Tuesday, during the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council meeting in Mobile. The Reef Fish Management Committee voted to increase the total allowable catch to 6.945 million pounds, but cut the season to between 51 and 60 days -- making for the shortest snapper season ever.
Read more.
Bay County Approves Fisheries Resolution
They believe decisions to close red snapper and amberjack seasons last year were based on an inadequate collection process.
Tuesday, commissioners passed a resolution urging the fisheries service to re-examine the process and relax some regulations.
Bay County commissioner Mike Thomas said, "The restrictions are so tight. People know we need restrictions to take care of that but we just want to make sure that the information that they're using to make their decisions is appropriate, gathered and used properly."
The resolution will be sent to the Florida congressional delegation.
Monday, February 1, 2010
Salt Water Fishing in Florida By the Numbers
• Ripple effect -- $5,123,992,575
• Salaries wages and business earnings -- $1,568,389,759
• Federal Tax Revenue -- $378,902,841
• State and Local Tax Revenue -- $311,265,319
• Jobs -- 51,588
Each saltwater sports fishing trip on Florida's Water is valued at an average of $350.00 Dollars
James Donofrio
Executive Director
RFA (Recreational Fishing Alliance)
c-202-236-4867
o-888-JOIN-RFA
Bay County Commission to Vote on Fishery Resolution
The money would be earmarked for a new, full-blown stock assessment of each Gulf Coast species managed by the fisheries.
Local anglers have argued the National Marine Fisheries data process is flawed and it is having a negative effect on coastal communities.
Fishermen say the closure of red snapper and amberjack seasons last year hurt the local economy.
The commission will take up that resolution during its regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday.
Friday, January 29, 2010
For Immediate Release
WASHINGTON –U.S. Senator George LeMieux (R-FL) today urged his colleagues to amend federal law to allow for more flexible and science-based timelines for fisheries closures in an effort to reduce the negative economic impacts felt by the recreational fishing industry. The effort that Senator LeMieux publicly endorsed on Thursday requires fisheries rebuilding to be completed on a timeline that allows fish stocks to recover without unnecessarily harming the livelihood of recreational fishermen and the fishing industry in general.“Fishing communities are losing millions of dollars each year because of rigid laws requiring the closure of entire fisheries for extended periods of time – regardless of whether the fish stock has recovered,” LeMieux said. “Basing closure decisions on sound science and environmental conditions will ensure that fisheries are rebuilt in a way that helps to keep fishing communities economically viable, without compromising the goal of protecting fish stocks.”
Senate bill 1255, the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act authored by Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY), will amend the Magnuson-Stevens Act to allow fishery management plan managers to specify a time period for rebuilding fisheries that is both practical and efficient. The bill maintains the requirement that overfishing be ended within one year but it gives regulators the option of allowing fishing for strong species in a fishery that is currently barred to protect the weakest stock.
BACKGROUND:
Summary of S.1225
Amends the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to allow fishery management plans the flexibility to specify a time period for rebuilding the fishery that is as short as practicable.
Maintains the requirement that overfishing be ended within one year.
Allows exceptions to the requirement that fisheries be rebuilt in ten years based on the biology of the stock of fish or other environmental conditions.
Gives regulators the option of allowing fishing for strong species in a fishery that is now barred to protect the weakest stock.
Allows exemptions to the requirement that fisheries be rebuilt in ten years when the rebuilding program cannot be effective only by limiting fishing activities or when such exemptions will minimize the economic impacts on fishing communities.
Obama admin proposes major spending for fishery cap-and-trade plan
The Obama administration is proposing significant new spending on a proposed cap-and-trade regulatory scheme for fisheries -- a major overhaul in fishery management and a bid to halt the decline of wild fish stocks.
In its fiscal 2010 budget request, the administration is asking for $18.6 million for "catch-share programs."
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Catching Your Share
January 25, 2010
Have you ever been deep sea fishing? Until last summer, I hadn’t. Which is rather surprising, since I grew up here on the Gulf Coast and spent most of my impressionable days on the deck of one boat or another. It was a warm day in late May. The first few catches were decent B-liners (Vermillion Snapper). The next week Red Snapper season opened and I’m still not sure who was more hooked, me or the fish. The fight at the bottom of the line made dinner taste that much better. I’m not alone. Offshore fishing is big business.
Read more.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Bob Jones Commentary
There were thousands of fishermen and fishing businesses totally disenchanted with what NOAA/NMFS has done to them for several decades. There have been outrageous, almost punitive actions by NOAA/NMFS and the New England Fishery Management Council on scallops in particular and minimal fishing days and fewer opportunities in general. I won't make their arguments; I'll leave that to the New Englanders.
In our world here in Florida we are very frustrated with government because of the actions taken against us by NOAA/NMFS, especially in the current red snapper/grouper controversy. The issue boiled down to a "them vs. us" and they pulled out all stops to make sure “they” won when they banned red snapper fishing. They might feel they taught the fishermen a lesson through heavy-handed fish politics but all they did was strengthen our resolve. The sad part of this situation is we have always called for honest science and nothing more. We have shown the flaws in the science NMFS and the South Atlantic Council used to force their will on us. When we hired Dr. Frank Hester, a world-class certified marine scientist, he was called a charlatan by a NOAA/NMFS scientist for questioning NMFS computer models, assumptions and lack of data in the 1940’s on which they made important stock assessment decisions.
These thoughts ran through my mind last night as I was trying to sleep and I wanted to share them with you because we have known each other so long. I mentioned to you earlier that NOAA/NMFS actions chased me from the Democratic Party to the Independent Party. Maybe the frustrations I had is portend of things to come.
What will it take to get Congress interested in what the agency has done to us, is currently doing to us and wants to do to us in the future? When will the agency let us see through the dark glass barricade?
There is a big story here but we can’t seem to get traction because of the power of the agencies that need the oversight.
Sincerely yours,
Bob Jones
Southeastern Fisheries Association Inc